Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Let the fish talk...

I am a big fan of not teaching the fish.  I am an even bigger fan of letting a fish continue to believe he is no longer a fish because "he knows poker now"...

So in the spirit of celebrating the existence of the know-it-all fish who will never learn because he managed to know it all in his six months of "studying the game" I now post here some of my favorite misused poker terms:

No, I am not going to explain the proper use and definition of the misused terms!  When I hear these misguided sentences, I just nod and smile - because I am such a good listener, I am not going to interrupt someone just to correct them :-)


REPOP
"Three people limped in for 20, so I repopped it to 200.  The flop came, they checked to me, so I repopped it again..."


3BET
"On the flop, he bets 200 so I 3bet him to 600..."


POT ODDS
"I limped in for 50 from UTG with pocket fours, the next guy raises to 400, the guy after him shoves for 1200, the button calls, the SB shoves for 1900, so I call because I only have 500 and I have pot odds..."

"I had an open-ended straight draw on the flop, and I called because I had three-to-one pot odds..."

"I bought in for 1000.  First hand I get KQs but UTG raises to 500.  I go all-in because he has over 10,000 in chips and I have massive implied odds..."


BANKROLL
"I moved up to play 25-50 because I managed to grind my bankroll up to 5000 from a buyin of only 500 at the 10-20 table..."

"I withdrew 10k from the ATM so that I would have a bankroll at the 50-100 game later..."


SLOW ROLL
"I flopped quad aces so I decided to slow roll it by checking the flop and turn..."


CBET
"He raised preflop and I called.  I flopped the top pair so I cbet 200"

"It was a limped pot and I was in the BB so I checked.  Then I flopped two pair so I cbet 200..."


BAD BEAT
"I got a bad beat!  I had KQs and he had only A2s but he won!"

"I got bad beat!  he went all-in on the flop with only a straight-flush draw and I had pocket tens!"


POSITION
"I flopped quads tapos I was first to act!  Ang ganda ng position ko!"


Groan.

No comments: